Sunday, January 06, 2008

Sweeney Todd

I've never seen the musical of Sweeney Todd but I like Sondheim so I was looking forward to the Tim Burton directed movie version. Anyway, I thought it was a good and entertaining night at the movies, although the movie falls well short of greatness. I don't have all that much to say, and it's not that I didn't like the movie, because I did, but the theater version is funnier right? Or something-er? Because the movie is pretty unrelentingly dark. And while I admire Burton's ability to create an aesthetically consistent world, I'm not sure what making an entirely dark musical about an entirely dark subject and then filming it in an entirely dark way does for the viewer. A bit more black humor would have gone a long way and I can only assume that the actual musical had said humor. And maybe a portrayal of Todd that was a bit more nuanced? I would have liked that too.

2 comments:

Miss. Scarlett said...

I've never seen the musical either but I do really want to watch the big screen version just because I'm a fan of Burton.

Meg said...

Oh, you should. It's definitely worth seeing. And it's pretty much a perfect story for Burton.