Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Death at a Funeral and other assorted things

OK, honestly, I don't know how people go out and do things with other people every day and don't go batshit crazy. Granted a lot of my "out with other people" this past week was "out with family" which is particularly craziness inducing, but I kind of just want to hide in my apartment for the foreseeable future--except for tomorrow when I'm meeting Kir and Jenny after work--and pretend people don't exist.

Also, I just shelled over money for rent, a massive vet visit, and some other things and am feeling rather poor. So clearly what I need is retail therapy? Not so much--and I'm not a happy shopper anyway--but I do need to go shopping for some nice fall/winter work clothes in the next week or so.

Anyway, yesterday my aunt and I went to see Death at a Funeral based on my grandmother's enthusiastic recommendation. It often seems to me that my grandmother likes much more than she dislikes, so it might have occurred to us that this was a mistake, but naturally we failed to consider that.

It's one of those comedies that relies on everyone running about acting like complete idiots. If even one or two people behaved as though they had a brain in their head there would be no movie because the conflict would simply be solved. And I hate movies like that. I just don't understand the justification for choosing stupidity over good plotting. So while there were funny moments, it was more often painful. Rather glad I'm not the one who paid for it.

No comments: