Friday, July 13, 2007

This will not be interesting.

Hey, you can't say I don't believe in giving people fair warning.

When I was younger my father used to have what he referred to as "get-it-done days." These essentially consisted of my sister and I bitching and whining and saying, "Mommm, Dad's being a jerk," while my dad proved us right. Well, this week has been a "get-it-done week" for me. I think I've mentioned before that housekeeping is not a strength of mine. Wendy is, of course, much better at that and extremely organized to boot. I'm the sort to just toss stuff all over the place, she's the sort to put everything in drawers which she has labeled with her labelmaker.

So anyway, I did a ton of dishes, cleaned out the fridge (moldy cheese, brown lettuce, etc), organized the cabinets (Wendy's fond of keeping little tupperware containers with 5 pita chips and such which she then forgets about), did laundry, vacuumed, etc., etc. Joy.

Yesterday was my birthday, which turned out to be very nice. I had lunch with my department at work and a good dinner with a couple of friends and a rather shocking number of people wished me a happy birthday, including a couple of friends I really wouldn't have expected to remember. Not because they're bad friends (they're wonderful friends) but because I haven't seen them recently so I wouldn't have remembered in their place. I'm shit at that though.

Meanwhile, since last night, the people who live across the hall from me have had something beeping in their apartment. Fortunately, I can't hear it from my bedroom so I didn't know about it until this morning, but it totally made me late to work this morning while I searched all over trying to figure out what could be beeping in my apartment. I finally concluded that it must not be in my apartment and was about to walk out the door when my doorbell rang. Turns out it was someone who lives one floor up and across the hall from me (seems like a nice man), hoping I had some idea what was going on across the hall from me as the people who live there didn't seem to be home. I've never even met the people who live across the hall from me, so I hadn't the faintest idea. It's still beeping as of 3:30 this afternoon.


Beyond the cleaning and the birthday stuff, I've mostly spent the last few days sitting around reading, watching Doctor Who on the TiVo and, nearly as good, watching videos like this one on YouTube:


In other news, I have thus far managed to avoid killing Wendy's plants (although the aloe is looking even cruddier than usual), my parents may be adopting a second cat although we're not sure what they're current fairly bitchy cat will think of that (Wendy thinks she's found my mother's kitty soulmate), and my 13-year-old cousin is spending part of the weekend with me, so everyone cross your fingers and hope that goes well.

No comments: