Monday, September 15, 2008

What I'm Reading . . .

I know I've barely posted this month but honestly I haven't done anything worth posting about and I thought that anyone still reading was probably getting pretty sick of hearing about my cat's health issues all the fucking time.

I've been reading a bunch of ballet related stuff of late. I'm interested to see what ABT's hiring of Ratmansky will bring so I've been following the critical reaction to that. Tonya Plank has an interesting post up about that (on which I left an absurdly long comment--I really ought to restrain myself). I haven't seen enough of Ratmansky's work to know how I feel about his choreography as a whole but I tend to think his involvement help more than it hurts. Either way, we'll have the opportunity to find out for ourselves.

I'm also reading Muriel Topaz's Tudor biography, Undimmed Lustre, and Judith Chazin-Bennahum's The Ballets of Anthony Tudor: Studies in Psyche and Satire, in preparation for seeing several of his ballets during ABT's fall season. I figure I'll appreciate them more if I come at them with some degree of knowledge about what's going on. I'll have a full post on those books when I finish them. I'm sure you're all just at the edge of your seats in anticipation.

And like so many other people I've been following the endless coverage of the election and Palin in particular. It's kind of amazing; between major elections I pay less attention to politics and so I forget how much it seems like we're living in the pages of a political satire and can't get out. I can't decide if it's actually funny or if it only would be funny if it wasn't real.

One thing I'm not reading is hockey previews not written by funny bloggers. The preseason's about to start, I'll be back to listening to the radio on game days, and I'm totally excited. But I just can't take hockey news. I'm on an all-positivity all the time diet when it comes to my hobbies because I have other things to be worried about right about now and I'm not going to waste energy worrying about things that are supposed to be fun.

No comments: